As Archimandrite Dositheus writes in his "Description of the Solovetsky monastery" in 1836 the Church of St. Nicholas and the chapel of the Dormition of the Theotokos was the first parish Church in Varzuga. A local historian Ushakov wrote that Nicholas Church was the first Orthodox Church on the Kola Peninsula. The current Church building supposedly built in the XVIII century. In Soviet times the Church was closed, demolished all seven chapters. Since 30-ies of XX century it is used as a farm store, and the entrance is blasted out of the altar. In memory of the temple from the West side there is the icon of St. Nicholas. On behalf of the temple part of the Varguga village, situated on the left Varzuga river bank, called Nikolskaya.
Contacts: Russian Orthodox Church, Murmansk metropole, Severomorsk eparchy, Tersky deanery.
Senior priest: Varlaam hieromonk
Phone number: +7 9113112747
Fax:
Email: melaniya99@mail.ru
Web-site: http://varzuga.cerkov.ru
